Wednesday 12 November 2014

MR. GUITAR MEHTA

MR. GUITAR MEHTA
When I was a Graduate Student of Nuclear Physics at Harvard University I had become somewhat acclaimed for my public performances, for free, on the Indian Guitar or the Hawaian Guitar, or as some called it the Vichitra Veena!! This was just a hobby for me and something I enjoyed doing on weekends.
Little did I know how popular I had become in the Cambridge and Boston area till one day on a flight to New York from Boston, a fellow passenger seated next to me asked me my name, and when I told him I was Priya Mehta, he said, "Oh, you are Mr. Guitar Mehta?"
I could have gone on to become a professional singer and musician but there was nuclear physics to take care of and the exams at Harvard which took their toll and very soon the guitar became a pipe dream which never materialised!!!
While going through old pictures I found some reminders of that "golden era" of the famous guitarists and singers, the Beatles, when I had dreamt of competing with them! lol!
But the fact remains that I was the best guitarist amongst nuclear physicists and the best nuclear physicist amongst guitarists!!!
And I did shake the hand of the famous singer Joan Baez who came especially to my Physics class disguised in dark glasses and her hair tied into a bun, at the asking of her father Dr. Albert V. Baez who too was a nuclear physicist like me. I always played her "Down by the banks of the Ohio" on my guitar as a homage to that historical meeting.
My profile photo shows me playing the guitar on WNAC TV Boston, where I was singing the poems of Omar Khayyam!

No comments:

Post a Comment