Tuesday 3 February 2015

DO ANGELS WALK UPON THE EARTH?



Here in the picture are the villain and the good person, of Star Wars, Darth and Yoda. Standing in their midst is my dear friend from Harvard. I call him KK.
I can never forget that first Christmas night at Harvard, when I, as a foreign student, was the only one left in the dormitory while all my American friends had gone home for the Christmas vacation which was to last for many days.
Those were the days when I used to eat at Harkness Commons Cafetaria at Harvard, where we paid with coupons which were then encashed by the Cafetaria.
I was very complacent about the vacation and was under the impression that I would continue eating at Harkness Commons till the time the vacation was over.
And here is the funny thing -- it sounds funny now but it was pretty serious then -- I had not a single cent in my pocket and would be paid my Scholarship after the vacations!!
I realised this with a shock when I went to take breakfast at Harkness Commons and discovered that it was shut down for the entire Christmas Vacation!!
I was new at Harvard and did not have any friends or contacts from whom I could have borrowed any money to "survive on".
Imagine starving in the richest country in the world and the richest University in the USA!!! I could hardly have imagined such a situation in India!
There was nothing that I could do except "wait" -- for whom and for what?
For God to step into the picture when one had let go of everything else!
And sure enough there was a knock on my dormitory door in the evening!!
I had gone without breakfast and lunch already..
A kindly looking student with glasses stood at the door. He sounded almost apologetic as he said:
"Sorry to disturb you! But I saw your light on! I live in the opposite dormitory!
I guess you and I are the only foreign students left in the dormitories with the coming of the Christmas Vacation!"
As we continued to get acquainted it was time for dinner and he said:
"Shall we have dinner together outside? Harkness Commons is closed for the vacation!"
He sensed something was wrong due to my silence. And then I told him my financial situation, that I had not a cent with me!! It was embarrassing to disclose this. but better than going to a restaurant outside and then not being able to pay the bill!!
Immediately he said to me: "Priya, please dont worry about anything while I am here! I will take care of the expenses! Come let us eat!!"
For the entire Christmas vacation, each and every day he came to my room and knocked on my door and we had breakfast, lunch and dinner together!!
Of course I promised to pay him later when I got my scholarship.
But in the days that followed he simply refused to be paid back and said,
"Where I come from, money is not that important!"
In later years I discovered that he was not only one of the noblest and best of men that I had met at Harvard, but probably in my life.
Many years later when he visited me and my father HH Shri Bhola Nathji ( 1902-1992) in India at New Delhi, my father had this to say about him:
"Priyaji, your friend, Kopr, is a walking angel upon earth!"
I understood then that he had been sent by my father in some mysterious unseen manner many years ago, at that time at Harvard, like an angel sent to help me!!
I say this with great affirmation and experience that if you simply "let go" in moments of loneliness and distress, then someone will suddenly come to you and get you out of the trouble. That someone will be an angel sent by God. An angel in human form, like my friend at Harvard, Kopr.
He recently sent me this picture with himself standing between the two Star War Characters, Darth and Yoda!! An Angel between two devils! I am sure it was just a coincidence that he had this picture taken at some museum, but that is how I read into it.

No comments:

Post a Comment