Saturday 6 July 2013

SHRI NATHJI PUTS NEW LIFE INTO OLD RANI



 
In the 1930's when HH Shri Nathji was a frequent guest at the house of R.R. Khanna the Registrar of the Lucknow University, people of all faiths flocked to him.

Khanna held parties in which he invited people of different faiths on different days. Amongst the visitors were the intellectuals of the University itself. There was the Education Minister a highly literate man with a Ph.D who was greatly enamoured of Shri Nathji. There were the judges of the Lucknow High Court, Justice Raza being one of them, along with Justice Nanavati.

On one such occasion while Shri Nathji's sermon kept his audience in another world, where space and time had ceased to exist, an old lady stooped with the years, entered into the room. She had something wrapped in a white cloth bundle. Much to the surprise of the visitors the old lady came right up to Shri Nathji and placed the little bundle on top of a small table that lay before him.

The people of Lucknow knew the old lady, she was a Rani a small queen of a State, and used to wear spectacles because of which she was known as "chashme vaali mata" - the mother with spectacles!

And then, without a word, she went on to open the bundle, while people waited with some impatience. Shri Nathji had stopped talking as was his usual humility and politeness.

Finally the bundle was open and - it was filled with little toys for children.

The old lady said: "Nathji! I brought these for you! Yesterday I was passing by a hall and I got a glimpse of you standing and speaking on the stage - but you appeared to me as a little child!! So I have brought these little toys for you to play with!"

Many people there thought the woman was mad. But she was a renowned lady of the town, a Rani, a small queen of an estate bordering Lucknow.

Then she explained:

"Yesterday I was the unhappiest woman in the world. My husband had died, All my five sons had passed away. My daughter had died, so had her husband and their daughter. My body was racked by illnesses, I had no life within me. The Ministers of my Estate were exploiting my weakness. Each and every hair on my head was numbered with an infinity of sorrows! I had no desire to live any longer.

"But that one glimpse of you standing on the stage was enough to change my entire life. The Divine Glory that you exuded entered my very being! All my sorrows simply vanished! Today I can say without any hesitation that I am the happiest woman in the world!"

Without replying to what the old lady said, Shri Nathji picked up the little toy cars on the table and began winding them and making them run, playing with the toys as if he were a child!

The old lady's joy knew no bounds. Tears rolled down her cheeks!
For her, Shri Nathji was God Incarnate who had appeared before her as a divine child to rob her of all her sorrows!

It was a gift no human being on earth could have given her. She felt as if she had regained everything and everyone in life which she had lost. All her loved ones seemed to be restored to her in that love filled Being that sat before her, who was the only God for her.

Time came when she came to live with Shri Nathji in his home - as his mother. Everyone would call her "Shri Nathji's mother". She would remain well whenever she was with Nathji and fall ill whenever she went back to her own State.

Shri Nathji on his part tried his best to enact the part of a child which she had relegated to her. There were moments when he would even pretend to "quarrel" with her over small things like his shirt butttons being lost! Later came a period when this part of his play was over and Shri Nathjii's presence took her to another plane.

She fell ill once and said to Shri Nathji: " Do you know why I have fallen ill? It is because you have ceased to quarrel with me!! Those loving quarrels used to put new life into me!"

Once she prayed to Shri Nathjii: "O Lord! For how long will thou remain hidden from the people of the world! Reveal thyself so that the world may know God is on earth!"

That very day crowds appeared from nowhere and flooded the entire house. As a matter of fact for three days the Old Lady could not even see Shri Nathji though living in the same house!!

She said later: " I will never ask thee to reveal thyself to the world again ! I was the first person whose entry to thee became impossible!"

There came a time when she had to leave to attend to affairs of her own State for a while. While there she fell ill.

She kept a picture of Shri Nathji with herself. She fanned this in the summer and put a quilt over it in the cold season.

Shri Nathji received word that the Old Lady was very ill. Thereupon he arranged for a car and took the long ride outside Lucknow to here Estate.

Her home was a Palace. She was the Rani of the State. There were large gates to the house into which Shri Nathji's car drove.

As he entered the Gates of the Rani's Palace, the Verse echoed in his mind, as if it were the Old Lady whose voice were reciting the words:

"The need of the world for thee is so great, it will not let thee come, I know!
But if thou willst not come to my funeral then thou must come to my tomb!"

When he reached inside th Palace, he met the servant of the Old Rani. She said to Shri Nathji:

"The Rani has left the world. Just before she passed away she gave me this message:

'When Nathji comes, tell him that I am leaving this world, knowing fully well that I have attained salvation!"

She had Shri Nathji's picture by the side of her pillow at the time she left the world. it was an image that was inside her heart as well, and an image that went with her to the next world.

No comments:

Post a Comment