Wednesday 19 September 2012

BLOOMERS



BLOOMERS

Bloomers are generally associated with people in their old age, they are also called a "faux pas" or unintended slips of the tongue.
But this happened with me when I was seventeen.

There was a time when I visited a school principal of mine, Mr. M.O. Manley in the evening hours. I was just passing by my old school and thought I would drop in and say hello.

Mr. Manley was a suspicious ma
n and was already trying to divine the reason for my sudden visit. He was accustomed to people coming to him for favors.

After the preliminary greetings were over, I made my first bloomer,
as I asked him: 'Have you had your dinner?"

A knowing smile came over his face as he said, "Yes! We just finished!"

I could imagine his saying to himself: "Aha! So that was the reason for his sudden visit!"

Then he began showing me some of the paintings in his house.
He showed me two which he particularly liked:

"This one is painted by me and that is painted by my wife!"

And I said: "I like that one better!" pointing to the picture made by his wife.

Another bloomer. I could see his face turn red, presumably with joy(?)

And the final bloomer at the door as I left his house and he said good night to me,

I replied: "Goodnight, Mrs. Manley!"

No comments:

Post a Comment