Wednesday 19 September 2012

HOW MUCH MATERIAL WEALTH?



HOW MUCH MATERIAL WEALTH?

A Maharaja used to come to see my father HH Shri Nathji, and he would always pray for some material gains in life.

One day he said to HH Shri Nathji:

"Due to the blessings you endowed upon me I have flourished in life. I am presently making one crore rupees ( 10 million) per month. But I have come to ask you now to bless me so that I may make 2 crores per month!"

And
Shri Nathji said to him: "Tell me first how many meals a day do you eat?"

"Oh, just 3 meals a day - breakfast, lunch and dinner!"

"This is what you eat when you are earning 1 crore per month.
Tell me, will you eat 2 breakfasts, 2 lunches, and 2 dinners, when you make 2 crores per month? Will you eat double the amount of food you eat when your income is doubled?"

"No, Sire, that would spoil my stomach!"

And Shri Nathji added: " No matter if you earn the entire wealth of the world you can only eat one meal at a time, take only one piece of bread at a time. Your body has a limited capacity for enjoyment and as soon as that capacity is reached it is saturated and can enjoy no more!"

"Man whose stomach is satiated by a single piece of bread,
Runs day and night in pursuit of the wealth of the world"

"A man had an empty glass with him and was thirsty. He refused a jug saying that it was too little, he refused a well saying that it was too little, he refused a pond saying that it was too little, and even a river of water. Then someone showed him the ocean.

"'At last! An infinity of water!' the man said with joy.

"He dipped his empty glass into the ocean and found that the glass could contain no more than its capacity, which had been enough to satiate his thirst in the first place."

No comments:

Post a Comment