Saturday 22 September 2012

REMEMBERING CHARLES DICKENS



REMEMBERING CHARLES DICKENS
IN HIS FAMOUS BOOK,
"A TALE OF TWO CITIES"

These two quotations from Charles Dickens have remained with me ever since the days when I studied Charles Dickens for my course in English Literature in High School in India.

Men like Dickens represented the conscience of the people of his time. Without being religious he was an intensely spiritual soul.

Here are his quotes in the above book:

"The greatest desire that I have in this world is to forget that I belong to it. It has no place in it for me, nor I for it!"

These were the words of an apparent drunk and wayward Sidney Carton who was shunned by the so called "good" folk of his time, but who was really a very good soul at heart.

When he opted to die in place of his double, Charles Darnay, who was also his rival in love, these were his words on his way to the guillotine to be beheaded in place of his friend:

"It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done.
It is a far, far better place that I go to, than I have ever known."

No comments:

Post a Comment