Wednesday 19 September 2012

THE CUP OF LOVE



" I HAVE NO MISSION EXCEPT LOVE IN THIS WORLD,
MY MISSION IS LOVE,
AND MY WORK IS LOVE."

These are the words by which my grandfather and father lived in this world, the mantle of which I have taken upon myself.
I am translating a poem on Love which my father had written in 1982 in the Urdu language in India. He went by the nom de plume of Nath, Ghulam Rue Zamin, The Servant of the Earth, in all humility and love.

I am afraid my translation loses much of the flavor and poetry of the original work, but I am making efforts to improve on it. If I can but convey the gist of the poem I shall be content.

THE CUP OF LOVE

That which removes all sorrows in the world is the cup of Love,
That which gives peace to the heart is the name of Love,

The turmoils of the world so visible in the day,
Hide themselves altogether in the evening of Love

What do I have as a remedy for peace in the world?
I am thankful that it is only my work of Love

The heart of man seeks a release from the tumult of the world,
But the net from which it seeks no release is the net of Love

The heart of man is ever afraid of sorrows and pain,
But the ache of the heart is, indeed, the bliss of Love

This is the only path to peace and betterment in the world,
Alas!He who has no release from sorrows has evaded Love

O 'Nath'! Love is that unique gift in life which can bring about heaven,
That which joins the hearts together is this message of Love.

Nath
Ghulam Rue Zameen
The Servant of the Earth
June 23, 1982
New Delhi

No comments:

Post a Comment