Tuesday 27 May 2014

GHAZAL GHALIB - Dil hee to hai na sango khist dard se bhar na aaye kyon - with English subtitles

My father, HH Shri Bhola Nathji (1902-1992) would often enjoy the Urdu Songs ( Ghazals) of the famous Indian poet Mirza Ghalib (1797-1969).

In his songs was a certain sadness and a certain humility. He saw himself in the role of an unbeliever and lover, one prone to human follies, sadness and happiness, and made no pretense to being religious.

This particular ghazal shows the pain in the heart of the poet who says:

"It is but a heart and not a piece of stone,
That it not be filled with pain!
Weep I will a thousand times,
Let no one come and perturb me in vain!"

"It is neither a Temple nor a Mosque,
Neither a door or a dwelling place,
I sit by the road side
Let no one come and raise me!"

"Yes, he is not a believer in God,
Go and see, he is disloyal as well!
If anyone value his religion and his life,
Let him not go to the lane where he lives!"

I have made an attempt to sing this ghazal which has been sung by many eminent singers of our time in different melodies. I have composed this melody myself and played the accompanying music as well. I hope you will enjoy it.
Click here to listen to the Ghazal.

No comments:

Post a Comment